Thursday, June 28, 2007

DVD: Flags of Our fathers

I was really disappointed in Clint Eastwood's movie "Flags of Our Fathers." I think I was more disappointed because of all the hype when the movie came out, but I didn't see much here.

I was familiar with the story of the restaging of the planting of the flag on Iwo Jima. I was familiar with Ira Hays thanks to the Johnny Cash song. Frankly, when I got don watching the moving, I found myself asking myself, "so what?" I didn't feel like any of the characters were developed well enough to interest me.

The most interesting thing was the need to sell ward bonds to pay for the ongoing World War II effort. This was particularly poignant given the recent funding struggles of the war in Iraq. Apparently FDR and Truman (both Democrats) weren't as comfortable with deficit spending as the current Republican regime.

I enjoyed Adam Beach as Ira Hays who seems to be the current choice to play young Native American men. I liked him in the Tony Hillerman shows on PBS where he played Jim Chee. I also liked him in "Windtalkers" where he appeared with Nicholas Cage. I was surprised to see that he has appeared in about fifty movies and televisions shows. Anyway, he did a good job as Ira Hays.

Overall I don't rate the movie as being particularly good. It certainly wasn't worth all the hype. Maybe a C+ or 79%.


"Aspire rather to be a hero than merely appear one." -Baltasar Gracian


Pop some popcorn and let's watch a double feature.

-tfedge




No comments: